Good News for CNN!
After days of abject non-cooperation, some of the poorest, most desperate. most God-foresaken people on earth start fighting over candles right in front of the cameras. Can you imagine such barbaric lawlessness.
But have no worry. Anderson Cooper comes to the rescue!
Not only does he save an “American businessman” who clearly wanted the candles so he could sell them (instead of the looters selling them), AC also saves a bloodied little boy.
Actually, AC really didn’t do very much. He did what any decent human would do. I give him credit for that much. But then, cameras rolling, he tells the bleeding, battered little boy he is now “OK” and then, according to his blog, hands him over to a stranger and “hopes he’s OK.” No time to stop the show and make the sure kid gets any significant help.
This is what we mean by “disaster porn.”
P.S. What we really need to do is airlift a joint AIG/Goldman-Sachs team into Haiti so they can show those primitive, violent young men much more sophisticated manners of mass looting. Wielding sticks and throwing bricks is just SOOOO Third World.
P.P.S. Here are some questions that occur to me that it would be nice to have answered by some of these hero journalists:
– Five days after this catastrophe just exactly WHO has boxes of candles still for sale rather than having given them away?
– What sort of business is “Tony” the American businessman in?
– Where did he get the AK-47′s?
– What’s the deal with foreign shop owners privately arming the Haitian police?
– Are the comments underneath AC’s blog for real? Who are these folks that write such treacle?